Friday, August 28, 2009

A few random thoughts


I was just thinking about a few things (game related of course) this afternoon and thought that I'd just jot them down. Why? Well, why not. This is a blog after all.
  1. I like sandbox settings in table-top role playing games a LOT. So why is it that I don't especially take to that type of game in the electronic genre? I liked Oblivion and Fallout 3...but I didn't love them. In fact, I only got a little ways into Fallout 3 before I shelved it. I just wasn't into it that much. I sort of feel a bit deficient for doing it...I mean, it won all sorts of awards. But I find myself growing restless when playing, it just doesn't hold my interest so much. BUT, I really did like Mass Effect, so maybe there is hope for me yet.
  2. I'm going to try and start up my family Labyrinth Lord game sometime this weekend. We generally take a break in the summer due to the fact that the girls just love playing out doors. I've got a problem though, for some reason I didn't record the last session on the blog. I have no idea why I didn't. I was fairly religious prior to that. So, I'm going to have to go strictly off my faulty memory. Yikes!
    What I do remember:
    • They've made their way into the main chamber in the Upper Caves from FightOn's 'The Darkness Beneath'. Where they recovered the holy sword of St. Gyxag.
    • The Red Book was missing though.
    • They spoke with St. Gyxag's ghost and he told them that the book was stolen.
    • St. Gyxag pointed in the direction of the culprits.
    • Hambly, the leprechaun, and his halfling henchmen stole it for Ylfrit, the fey queen.
    • They need to find an alternate way out.
    • They haven't lost any henchmen.
    • There's a were rat and an evil priest covering the known exit.

4 comments:

1d30 said...

Good gravy, a were-rat and an evil priest? I'd say the next level down has got to be a better choice! ;)

Gamer Dude said...

Ha! Yeah...you know, the were-rat was a random monster roll, if you could believe that. As an aside, the priest and the were-rat weren't encountered together.

Here's a recap of the were-rat encounter: http://rollad20.blogspot.com/2009/04/labyrinth-lord-recap.html

K. Bailey said...

I also quit Fallout 3 early and didn't much care for Oblivion (nevertheless I played it all the way through).

For me it might be because there's no building element in either game. The sandbox is so shallow that you can't really build anything of your own with it. I didn't feel like there was a ton of freedom of action, either.

Also, traveling in both games is rather tedious. I can't imagine a tabletop DM who wants to enforce some kind of 1:1 reality/fiction time scale on exploration of a mostly-empty wilderness sprinkled with encounters (which encounters mostly serve to demonstrate the inadequacy of the game's AI and combat system...).

A fantasy version of GTA would be interesting...

Gamer Dude said...

Hey K. Bailey,
Good observation...I agree with that whole-heartedly. I got the farthest in Oblivion but haven't finished it, I'm not sure if it's something I'll attempt one of these days or not. Probably not though.

GTA? I don't know if I'm familiar with that title.